WARNING: MultilingualPress 2 is not compatible with Gutenberg. BEFORE you update your WordPress to version 5.0 please read our MultilingualPress and WordPress 5.0 guide.
Exciting news! MultilingualPress 3.0 is released and available for Pro users! Fully refactored, based on PHP 7, Gutenberg support, improved UI and optimized for WooCommerce. Get it here!
Please note, you can’t update MLP2 to MLP3 as usual, this is a complete refactor. We are currently working on a Migration tool which is available as alpha version on github. A tutorial for the migration tool can be found here
Run each language in a separate site of your WordPress multisite and connect the content in a lightweight user interface. To allow your users switch between languages, create a language switcher in your custom menu or use a customizable widget.
This plugin lets you connect an unlimited amount of sites with each other.
Set a main language for each site, create relationships (connections), and start writing. You get a new field now to
create a linked post on all the connected sites automatically.
They are accessible via the post/page editor screen – you can switch back and forth to translate them.
In contrast to most other translation plugins there is no lock-in effect: When you disable our plugin, all sites
will still work as separate sites without any data-loss or garbage output.
Our Language Manager offers 174 languages, and you can edit them.
- Set up unlimited site relationships in the site manager.
- Language Manager with 174 editable languages.
- Edit all translations for a post or page from the original post editor without the need to switch sites.
- Show a list of links for all translations on each page in a flexible language switcher widget.
- Translate posts, pages and taxonomy terms like categories or tags.
- Menu language switcher: Add translation links to any nav menu.
- No lock-in: After deactivation, all sites will still work.
- SEO-friendly URLs and permalinks.
- Support for top-level domains per language (via multisite domain mapping).
- Support for custom post types.
- Automatically redirect to the user’s preferred language version of a post.
- Duplicate sites. Use one site as template for new site and copy everything: Posts, attachments, settings for plugins
and themes, navigation menus, categories, tags and custom taxonomies.
- Synchronized trash: move all connected post to trash with one click.
- Change relationships between translations or connect existing posts.
- Quicklinks. Add links to language alternatives to a post automatically to the post content. This is especially useful
when you don’t use widgets or a sidebar.
- User specific language settings for the back-end. Every user can choose a preferred language for the user interface
without affecting the output of the front-end.
- Show posts with incomplete translations in a dashboard widget.
We cannot guarantee free ad hoc support. Please be patient, we are a small team.
You can follow our progress and development notices on our
We also offer premium support to save your time.
You get direct help from the developers of the plugin-and support the development.
WPML to MultilingualPress
If you would like to switch from the WPML plugin to MultilingualPress, you can use the helping hands of
WPML to MultilingualPress. This plugin converts posts from
an existing WPML multilingual site via XLIFF export/import for MultilingualPress.
Crafted by Inpsyde
The team at Inpsyde is engineering the Web since 2006.
- WordPress Multisite 4.2+.
- PHP 5.2.4, newer PHP versions will work faster.
If you’re new to WordPress multisite, you might find our WordPress multisite installation
Use the installer via back-end of your install or …
- Unpack the download-package.
- Upload the files to the
- Activate the plugin through the Network/Plugins menu in WordPress and click Network Activate.
- Go to All Sites, Edit each site, then select the tab MultilingualPress to configure the settings. You
need at least two sites with an assigned language.
- Will MultilingualPress translate my content?
No, it will not. It manages relationships between sites and translations, but it doesn’t change the content.
- Can I use MultilingualPress on a single-site installation?
That would require changes to the way WordPress stores post content. Other plugins do that; we think this is wrong,
because it creates a lock-in: you would lose access to your content after the plugin deactivation.
- I’m new to WordPress multisite. Are there any tutorials to get me started?
Yes, just have a look at our WordPress multisite installation
Colaboradores y desarrolladores
«MultilingualPress» es un software de código abierto. Las siguientes personas han colaborado con este plugin.Colaboradores
Registro de cambios
- Fix MultilingualPress tab does not appear in WordPress 5.2+, see #324.
multilingualpress.deleted_tablesfilter to skip table deletion, see #323.
falsevalue to translation metabox, see #320.
- Add Network admin notice about WordPress 5 upgrade with a link to the documentation, see #320.
- Bump minimum WP version to 4.7 in order to prevent issues, see #301, props @lkraav.
- Avoid error from
@@sqlmode, see #302 and #303, props @rebeccahum, @nickdaugherty.
- Use Union Jack as English flag.
- Post Translation: Allow for translation of scheduled posts, see #296.
- Post Translation: Introduce new filter,
multilingualpress.is_related_post_editable, for the remote post editing capability check.
- Redirect: Fix redirection not working correctly (esp. for front page).
- Post Translation: Fix slashes being stripped off post data.
- Site Settings: Fix updating incorrect site.
- Add PHP_CodeSniffer configs, and adapt code accordingly, see #283.
- Relations: Include scheduled posts in the remote post search, see #284.
- Relations: Introduce a new filter,
multilingualpress.remote_post_search_arguments, to manipulate the query arguments for the remote post search.
- Quicklinks: Introduce a new filter,
multilingualpress.quicklinks_nofollow, to render nofollow quicklinks, see #251.
- Post Translation: Fix meta box not rendered for CPTs with custom capabilities, see #286.
- Languages API: Fetch the language with the highest priority as site language.
- Translations: Restrict post type archive translations to active post types only.
- Activation: Initialize the plugin upon activation, see issue #281.
- Translations: Introduce a new filter,
multilingualpress.active_taxonomies, to modify the allowed taxonomies, see issue #282.
- Content Relations: Fix always disconnecting the source post.
- Content Relations: Fix various (edge case) issue around adding a new post to an existing relationship, see issue #280.
- DB: Always (try to) delete a table before creating it anew, see issue #240.
- hreflang: Introduce a new filter,
multilingualpress.render_hreflang, to force or prevent rendering.
- hreflang: Introduce a new filter,
multilingualpress.hreflang_post_status, to restrict post translations, and only query published posts, see issue #276 and issue #277.
- Language API: Introduce a new argument,
post_status, to restrict post translations.
- Redirect: Introduce a new filter,
multilingualpress.redirect_post_status, to restrict post redirect targets, and only query published posts, see pull request #278, props @diedexx.
- Redirect: Add optional
Mlp_Language_Negotiation::get_redirect_matches()and pass it on to
Mlp_Language_Api::get_translations(), see pull request #271, props @diedexx.
- Redirect: Add
content_idto redirect matches, see pull request #271, props @diedexx.
- Relations: Delete all relationship data with the last relationship, see issue #273.
- Redirect: Introduce a new filter,
multilingualpress.redirect_targets, to manipulate the found redirect targets, see pull request #265, props @diedexx.
- hreflang: Introduce new filters
multilingualpress.hreflang_translations, see pull request #267, props @diedexx.
- hreflang: Bump priority for
hreflangHTTP headers to
- Redirect: Bump default value for language-only priority factor.
- Types: Introduce null implementations for language and translation interfaces,
- Nav Menu: Use
Mlp_Null_Translationin favor of
- Language API: Don’t cache translations anymore, see issue #261.
- Term Translator: Don’t cache translations anymore.
- Table List: Don’t cache table names anymore.
- Language Switcher: Make Native name the default Link text option value, see issue #262.
- Translations: Fix issue with unfilterable URLs in the
hreflangHTTP header and HTML element output.
- Post Translator: Fix creation of (duplicate) draft translation posts on post preview, see
- Post Translator: Fix creation of duplicate draft translation posts, see
- Helpers: Fix
mlp_get_language_flag()) throwing a warning for non-custom flag images.
- Language Switcher: Fix widget not passing on the
- Assets: Fix assets being provided on pages where they are not needed, see
- Installation: Fix Incorrect index name ” errors, see
- Alternate Languages: Fix
hreflangHTTP Headers and HTML
<link />tags being provided on paged requests.
- Advanced Translator: Fix saving two posts due to (auto-)draft behavior.
- User Backend Language: Don’t register module for WordPress 4.7+.
- Sites: Fix having two active nav tabs.
- General: Use
(get_)home_url()for all front-end requests/URLs, see
issue #247, props ptrckvzn.
- Nav Menu: Introduce CSS class for current language item, see
issue #243, props ChriCo.
- Functions: Introduce filter for
issue #228, props dasllama.
- Install/Uninstall: Prevent potential PHP notice due to deprecated
issue #229 and
- Language Manager: Fix HTTP code of Chinese (Singapore), see
- Language Manager: Fix HTTP code of French (Switzerland), see
- Redirect: Fix priority of language-only redirect matches, see
- Post Translator: Prevent potential update of wrong posts, props 082net.
- CSS: Use font weight “600” instead of “bold”, see
Native Fonts in 4.6.
- Redirect: Fix user setting not being respected, see
- Post Translator: Fix translations not being saved, see
- Advanced Translator: Fix just-in-place translation not working, see
- Improve CopyPost script, see issue #214.
- Fix HTTP redirection even though the user disabled it, see
- Fix missing flag for the current site in the Language Switcher widget due to a regression introduced in
MultilingualPress 2.4.0, see issue #212.
- Fix stylesheet not being enqueued when using the Language Switcher widget only (i.e., no Quicklinks) due to a
regression introduced in MultilingualPress 2.4.0, see
- Fix incorrect styling due to a regression introduced in MultilingualPress 2.4.0, see
- Fix incorrect Language Switcher form markup due to a regression introduced in MultilingualPress 2.4.0, see
issue #209, props MBD.berlin.
- Fix potentially incorrect type hint, see issue #204, props
issue #205, props kraftner.
- Overall improvement of nonce usage.
- Rename plugin text domain, and adapt gettext calls and translations files.
- When creating a new site, the language is set to the default site language.
- When the site language is changed, the MultilingualPress language select adapts to this.
- Improve clearfix usage, props tiagoschenkel.
- Refactor and improve the post translator’s “Copy source post” functionality, see
- Indicate if “Copy source post” button was used, see
- Fire the
switch_themeaction when a site has been duplicated.
- Fix term relation not being deleted when term is deleted.
- Fix dynamic CPT permalinks (due to regression during merge).
- Add filter for remote post search minimum input length, see
- Sort remote post search results by relevance.
- Improve CPT translator: allow translation for all editable post types, see
issue #184, props kraftner.
- Use the full slug when copying post data, see issue #195,
- Improve (i.e., prepare/escape) several MySQL queries, props vaurdan.
get_term_by_term_taxonomy_idcache for term translator, props vaurdan.
- Replace an uncached, direct MySQL query with a
get_posts()call, props vaurdan.
- Lots of
- Implement selective refresh
support for the Language Switcher widget.
- Adapt the Term Translator to the new Edit Tag admin page introduced in WordPress 4.5.0.
- Use the new
network_site_new_formaction hook (where available) instead of injecting markup with jQuery. Yay!
- Delete the according Language nav menu items when a site is deleted.
- Improve site language(s) on network settings pages.
- Add the MultilingualPress settings page link to the plugin list in the WordPress Network Admin.
hreflanglinks and headers, see issue #202, props
- Fix leftover entry from site option included in languages data, see
issue #183, props kraftner.
- Fix potentially invisibe plugin activation row on Add New Site page.
urldecodeto account for non-ASCII characters, see
issue #186, props luisarn.
- Fix incorrect
ml_typevalue of duplicated custom post type posts, see
issue #185, props kraftner.
- Developers: As we would like to use the official WordPress.org GlotPress for translating
MultilingualPress, we will (have to) change the
plugin text domain from
multilingual-presswith the next (major) release. So, in case you are
doing crazy things with our translations (which you basically should really not), please be informed.
- Fix potentially invalid semi-hard-coded paths.
- Adapt potentially deprecated settings of Language Switcher widget, see
state_modulessite option on uninstall, props tiagoschenkel.
- Adapt Site Settings tab code for WordPress 4.4, props patricia70.
- Change settings page headings from h2 to h1.
- Integrate WordPress multisite installation tutorial into readme, see
- Hide Redirect UI if the Redirect feature is disabled, see
- Fix missing noredirect query var for all URLs of linked elements, see
- New setting: Fire plugin activation hooks for active plugins when a site has been duplicated.
- Feature: Show sites with their alternative language title in the admin bar, see
- Bugfix Translation meta box not visible, see issue #166,
- Bugfix term auto-selecting, again.
realpath()for plugin file in requirements check to allow for symlinked plugin folder, see
issue #162, props jackblackCH.
- Handle deletion of post relations no matter from what site, see
issue #156, props kraftner.
- Bugfix auto-selecting the first remote term without relationships.
- Improve validity check for table names (don’t be more restrictive than WP core).
- Merge MultilingualPress Free and Pro.
- Pass original content from TinyMCE to translation editor.
- Add hooks before and after the term translation boxes.
- Do not show a translation box title when there are no linked sites.
- Add Russian translation.
- Cache some Language API queries internally to avoid duplication.
- Cache query in
- If specified, always use the Custom Name in
- Fallback to site URL when translation query is not strict.
- Add access to invalid column names in
- Better table name query.
- Do not exclude non-public sites for relations anymore.
- Better check for separate home page (page for posts).
- Prevent lost site relations and duplicated languages, see
README.mdfile, see issue #86.
- Move all feature directories one level up, see issue #84.
- Improve User Backend Language, see issue #89.
- Add visibility checkbox to site duplication screen, see
- Pass translation object to
- Fix order when sorting by priority, see issue #99.
- Add French translation, props fxbenard.
- Add important features to readme files, see issue #106.
- Add Language column to the network site table, see
- Bugfix all relationships being removed on blog deletion, see
- Add missing
hreflangattribute to quicklinks, see
- Use current blog language for
htmltag, see issue #118.
- Do not redirect while doing AJAX, no matter if
admin-ajax.phpor not, see
- Prevent PHP Notice in
Mlp_Language_Apiclass, props iamntz.
- Save translations as long as title or content is given, see
- Use grunt, and refactor and improve assets.
- Add missing
hfreflangattribute for content’s own language, see
- Improve Language Switcher widget, see issue #112, props
- Remove long deprecated filters
- Improve DB functions.
get_blog_language()in favor of
- Update language information.
- Add post slug to Advanced Translator, see issue #119.
- Show Translation meta box only for users who have the required capability, see
- Add post excerpt to Advanced Translator, see issue #102.
- Update German translation.
- Add Dutch and Greek translation.
- Remove upgrade notice, see issue #147, props
- Add confirmation to post saving when relationships were changed, see
- Get rid of an Undefined index PHP notice, see issue #132,
- Bugfix no-redirect links don’t properly set session to not redirect, see
issue #138, props dboune.
- Get rid of possibly mixed content relations, see
issue #155, props kraftner.
- Allow removing all terms of a remote post in the advanced translator, see
issue #154, props kraftner.
- Combine all scripts and stylesheets, separated for frontend and backend.
- Minify scripts and stylesheets when
MULTILINGUALPRESS_DEBUGare not set.
- Make the icon/flag for the current site available in nav menus.
- Sites with custom name are now returned in
- Better updates: Make sure that site relations are not lost and languages are not duplicated.
- Fixed autoloading with
glob()on Solaris systems.
- Fixed database error when upgrading from a preview version of the 2.1 branch.
- Custom flags are now fetched from the correct site.
- Built-in flag icons are checked on the file system before we return an URL for them.
- Language switcher widget is now visible for all users.
- Improved description of the widget options.
- Search pages are translated correctly.
- Pro: Table duplicator works with custom tables now.
- Added links to translations to the
- Relations between sites are now stored in a separate table
mlp_site_relations. This is faster than the previous
option call, and it is less error prone, because we don’t have to synchronize these relations between sites. The old
options will be imported into the table automatically during the upgrade.
- Pro: Post meta fields in poorly written plugins will not be overwritten anymore. We had many reports about plugins
without a check for the current site when they write meta fields. Now we remove all global post data before we
synchronize the posts, and we restore them when we are done.
- Installation and uninstallation are heavily improved now. We catch many more edge cases and switches from Free to Pro.
- Languages are now synchronized between MultilingualPress and WordPress. When you assign a language in
MultilingualPress to a site the first time and the language files are available, we set the site language in the
WordPress option to that value.
- You can add language links to regular navigation menus in the backend now. These links are adjusted automatically on
each site: if there is a dedicated translation, the link will be changed to that page. It will point to the other site’s
front page otherwise.
- Users who are not logged in will not get permalinks for non-public sites anymore. You can work on a new site now
safely, test all the links while being logged in, and your visitors will never see that until you set the site to
- You can link existing terms (tags, categories, whatever) now. We will add support for term creation on that page
- There are hundreds of other, minor improvements, too many to list them all.
- Code refactoring
- New Language Manager with editable languages
- Rename Widget to Language Switcher
- Improved storage of site relationships
- Set attributes
- Fixed error on plugin deactivation
uninstall.phpto clean up on deletion properly
- Simplify user interface in site settings
- Better keyboard accessibility for form fields
- Convert text domain calls to static strings
- Better label texts
- Missing translation does not prevent translating a post again anymore
- Post authors of translations are not overwritten anymore.
- Show current site in widget works now
- Rework translation metaboxes, there is now one box for each language
- Rename blog to site in the user interface
- Update German translation, remove outdated other translations
- Fix incorrect URLs when front page is set as static page or custom post type.
- Better data handling during setup of post relationships.
- Fixed wrong links in widget on the front page.
- Added a Catalonian flag, the Canadian flag was used for
- Removed need to reload settings after adding a new relationship.
- Copy post meta data and featured image for connected posts.
- Set preview of connected posts to
disabledto make copy and paste easier.
- Show languages in site list in native writing style (alphabet), not flags.
- Improved German translation.
- Made all text domain references static strings.
- Unify hook names. Developers: we will change our API completely in version 1.2. If you have
any questions, please contact us before you write new code.
- Added a language list in
inc/language-list.phpto get languages in native and English writing by ISO codes.
- Added a helper class
Mlp_Db_Replaceto update multiple tables and columns at once.
- Many minor stability and performance improvements.
- Code: Auto Updater Improvements
- Code: Fixed Feature Loader
- Removed link to blog posts on is_home()
- Removed static ?noredirect parameter
- Added modern greek as language
- Added private posts for translations
- Added parameter handling for mlp_show_linked_elements template function
- Added parameter show_current_blog on mlp_show_linked_elements template function
- Added show current blog at the MLP Widget
- Added hook for checkbox “translate this post”
- Added hook to change the default meta box
- Added hook to change the link to the blog
- Changed admin_url into network_admin_url
- Redirect Feature: Added better check for session_start
- Redirect Feature: Added redirect on is_home()
- Redirect Feature: Added ?noredirect link with core plugin hook
- Redirect Feature: Added english as browser language
- Quicklink Feature: Added blog language to quicklink
- Dashboard Widget: Fixed “This post is translated” checkbox
- Advanced Translator: Removed default metabox when feature is active
- Added Feature: Default Actions
- Autoupdate Feature: Removed autoupdate module from module list
- Code: Fixed Auto Updater
- Version: Hopping due to some Auto Update Issues
- Code: Fixed Wrong Encoding in different files
- Code: Fixed several warnings, notices and small bugs
- Code: Fixed Auto Updater
- Code: Fixed several Advanced Translator Bugs
- Code: Fixed Post Relationships in Blog Duplicate
- Feature: Advanced Translator for Posts and Pages
- Feature: Support for Custom Post Types
- Feature: Dashboard Widget
- Feature: Duplicate Blogs
- Feature: Quick Load of new language packs
- Feature: Automatic browser redirection
- Feature: Systemwide Trash
- Feature: Individual backend language user settings
- Using local logo
- Feature: Added Demo Module
- Feature: Added sort option to widget
- Feature: Added is_home() to our queries
- Feature: Added mlp_get_interlinked_permalinks
- Feature: Added mlp_get_blog_language
- Code: Fixed Widget
- Code: Fixed several notices
- Code: Fixed Buffer Bug in Settingspage
- Code: Fixed Notices on refresh of the blog settings
- Code: Fixed Column Content
- Code: Fixed Relationship Error Notice
- Code: Better Error Message for blog relationships
- Code: Constant Language Strings
- Code: Added Korean Language
- PHP 5.2 Fix
- Adding Plugin Settingspage, Code Cleanup
- added check that prevents the use of this plugin in a not-setted blog
- Codexified several stuff
- Fixed Missing Table from external Module
- Added filter for the list, fixed Style
- Fixed several notices
- fixed language key output
- Renamed the files
- changed textdomain
- fixed fi_FI language pack
- fixed several widget bugs ( #10, #13, #18, #22 )
- Only load the Widget CSS when widget is used
- added a check box to the editing view asking whether you want to create the drafts to other languages
- Translation is availeable for drafts
- Fixed up JS
- Blog Checkup for invalid data
- Display an admin notice if the plugin was not activated on multisite
- Set the parent page if this page was also handled by the plugin
- Fix a problem that a new multisite cannot set related blogs
- Change filter Issue 12
- Widget bugfix Issue 12
- Smaller source via use function selected() Issue 12
- Static value for register widget Issue 12
- Update Wiki for wrapper functions Wiki on Repo
- Add new pages on Wiki on Repo for Filter- and Action Hooks
inside the plugin
- Fix bug, if you kill data on an blog for dont interlinked with other blogs
- Exported the basic UI and userinput handling functionality into “default-module” class
- By default post types other than post and page are excluded
- Incorrect flags for some languages Issue 7
- Exported helper functions into own class
- Code documentation
- Updated language codes